Whether you’re a culinary genius or a regular Joe schmo, everyone has their own way of putting together their favorite type of sandwich. This week, we recruit the help of Executive Chef Michael Ferraro who shares with us his recipe on constructing his award-winning Pan Roasted Chicken Thigh Sandwich where pesto, aioli and chicken throw a party between some ciabatta, and the product is heaven.
Ferraro, who runs the kitchen at both Delicatessen and Mac Bar in SoHo, won not only bragging rights for his masterpiece when it raked in the most votes for Mezzetta’s Celebrity Chef Sandwich Charity Challenge on makethatsandwich.com, but also $10,000 for the Lustgarden Foundation which works to fund research to cure pancreatic cancer.
More on the Lustgarden Foundation, visit their website.
Complete recipe below:
Estimated Cooking Time: 15-20 min.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
- Ingredients and Directions:
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Mezzetta® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 ounces of burrata cheese
- Baby arugula
- 2 slices of ripe red beef steak tomatoes (Method for tomatoes: slice ½ inch thick, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and char on a hot grill quickly.)
- 1 lemon
- Chicken Thighs
- 2 boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1. In a small pot add water, salt, sugar, 1 garlic clove, 1 thyme sprig and bring to a simmer. Once salt and sugar are dissolved, cool liquid. Once liquid is at 40 degrees, place chicken thighs in and marinate for 15 minutes.
- 2. Remove chicken from brine, dry and season both sides with salt and black pepper. In a medium size sauté pan with a little olive oil, heat to medium-hot and place thighs in skin side down. Place pan in a 400 degree oven for 8 minutes.
- 3. Remove pan from oven and add butter, 1 spring thyme and one smashed garlic clove. Once butter is lightly browned, flip thighs over and baste for one minute. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Castelvetrano Olive Pesto
- 1 jar Napa Valley Bistro™ Homemade Style Basil Pesto
- 1 jar Mezzetta® Castelvetrano Whole Green Olives, pitted
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1. Combine 2 tablespoons pesto, 1 tablespoon Castelvetrano olives, pitted and minced, 1 teaspoon grated Parmigiano Reggiano and reserve.
- Tri Color Roasted Pepper Aioli
- 1 jar Mezzetta® Gourmet Deli Tri-Color Roasted Bell Pepper Strips
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon
- 4 ounces Mezzetta® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher salt
- 1. In a food processor, add a smashed garlic clove and egg yolk and purèe for 30 seconds. Slowly drizzle in olive oil to emulsify. Once oil is emulsified, add juice of half a lemon. Drain peppers and add 3 ounces of roasted peppers.
- 2. Season with kosher salt.
- To assemble the sandwiches
- Cut ciabatta bread in half and lightly oil each side and grill to toast. Spread 1-1/2 teaspoons of the aioli on the top half of the bread. Spread 1-1/2 teaspoons of the pesto on the bottom half of the bread.
- Stacking from the bottom with the chicken thighs thinly sliced, follow with 3 slices of burrata cheese and place under the broiler until cheese is melted. Toss a hand full of baby arugula with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, juice of a quarter lemon, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place arugula on top of cheese and top with charred tomatoes. Close sandwich with top piece of bread.